From Norway to Thailand to France: CFANS Students have the Chance to Discover
The CFANS Office of International Programs (OIP) provides helpful resources to students interested in studying abroad. Located in Coffey Hall 197 on the St. Paul Campus, OIP staff invite students to stop by so students can get their questions answered and receive more information about international opportunities. Staff will also support students through the study abroad application process. Drop-in hours happen every Wednesday from 2 to 4 p.m. in Coffey 130 or students can schedule time with a staff member.
CFANS OIP offers several short-term study abroad programs. These programs all have themes that relate to something within CFANS, and are led by CFANS faculty. The programs range from two to six credits and can take place during winter break, spring break, May term or over the summer. The deadline for this year’s winter programs has already passed. However, there are still several May and summer short-term study abroad opportunities available. The May session program application deadline is February 1, 2019.
To give you an idea of the variety of programming, here is a list of May term study abroad courses:
- CFANS France: From Farm to Fork: Sustainable Food Systems
- Taste of Germany and Switzerland: Food Education and Production
- Sustainable Food Systems of Italy
- Natural History of Norway
- Tropical Wildlife Conservation and Climate Change in Borneo
The application deadline for the two summer study abroad programs is March 1, 2019. The first program is Tropical Marine Biology and Shark Ecology in the Bahamas. The second program is Elephants and Marine Ecosystems; Health, Welfare and Biodiversity in Thailand.
The Learning Abroad Center manages long-term study abroad programs. However, the CFANS OIP has resources available and recommended long-term study abroad programs that connect to CFANS majors.
There are many scholarships available for students who want to study abroad from both the college and outside sources. CFANS offers specific grants that help students fund study abroad programs. Students only need to fill out one application and they will be considered for two or all three of these scholarship opportunities. They include:
International Learning Grant
- For CFANS undergraduate students participating in an international experience as part of their academic program
- Funds study abroad programs ranging from 2 weeks to an academic year
Diversity in Education Abroad Grant
- Designed to specifically support the underrepresented student population of CFANS
- 8 awards of $2,500 each offered
Go Global Grant
- Offered to CFANS undergraduate students studying abroad who are in good academic standing
- 20 awards of $500 each offered
For more information about the CFANS OIP or study abroad programs visit their website, stop by their office hours, or set-up an appointment by emailing email@example.com. You can also follow them on Facebook, on Instagram and on Twitter. If students are curious about study abroad opportunities, the CFANS Office of International Programs is a great first stop!