Depending on the year in college, each student will meet with either an academic advisor or faculty advisor each semester.

Freshman: During your freshman year, an academic advisor is assigned to help you become integrated into your major, explain all University and College policies, be a resource for class suggestions, and provide guidance. The professional advisor for the Agricultural Education (teacher licensure) and Agricultural Communication and Marketing majors is Sarah Lindholm.

Upperclassmen: During your sophomore year, you are assigned to a faculty advisor who will provide guidance for the remainder of your academic career. A faculty advisor is a great resource for ideas on internships or jobs, upper division courses, and should be used as a mentor. The faculty advisors for the Agricultural Education (teacher licensure) major are Dr. Brad Greiman and Dr. Amy Smith. The faculty advisor for the Agricultural Communication and Marketing major is Dr. Rebecca Swenson. Transfer students are immediately assigned to a faculty advisor and are required to meet with them before they are permitted to register for their second semester.

Advising appointments provide you with a chance to discuss your current courses and to plan your next registration. You are also welcome to discuss new interests or directions, to make long-term plans, or to ask any questions that may have arisen during your time at the U. For all required advising appointments, an advising hold will be placed on your record until you have met with your advisor. It is your responsibility to contact your advisor to schedule the appointment.

As you progress through your program, we strongly recommend regular meetings with your faculty advisor. They are a very important resource in your field of interest.

Forms Online

A variety of forms are available for students to download from the CFANS website. Students may also find required forms by visiting their departmental offices or the CFANS Advising Center in 130 Coffey Hall. Students will find university-wide forms online on the One Stop forms website.

Requirements for Graduation

Criteria that all students must meet to be granted a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Minnesota:

  • Grades of "C-" or better for all major courses, according to the departmental designation
  • Cumulative GPA of 2.00 or higher
  • Completion of all degree requirements listed on your APAS
  • Completion of a minimum of 120 credits

Planning for Graduation

There are several procedures that you must complete in order to apply for graduation, receive your degree, and participate in commencement. Follow the instructions on the undergraduate student graduation checklist to take care of the details.

Student Resources

OneStop provides information about registration, financial aid, tuition and billing, grades and transcripts, graduation and academic calendars.

Student Writing Support
Student Writing Support provides undergraduate and graduate students receive tutoring via e-mail and online resources for students and instructors.

SMART Learning Commons
SMART Learning Commons on the St. Paul campus provides tutoring in science, math, writing and other subjects.

Career and Internship Services
Career and Internship Services provides individualized career counseling, resume and cover letter coaching, and resources for job searching.

After Graduation