Click here to view the program requirements for the Agricultural Education major.

In order to be recommended for your Minnesota 5-12 agricultural education and coordinator of work based learning teaching licenses, you must successfully complete these licensure requirements

This major is designed to prepare students for Agricultural Education careers. While most graduates will pursue school-based Agricultural Education teaching positions in Minnesota or surrounding states, some may pursue related career paths. All graduates in Agricultural Education will complete a 12-week teaching internship to qualify for a Minnesota teaching license in grades 5-12 Agricultural Education and Coordinator of Work-Based Learning. Graduates leave the University of Minnesota prepared to teach agriscience, agribusiness, animal science, horticulture, food science, agricultural mechanics, and natural resource science.

Students may graduate from this program with a minimum 2.00 overall GPA, but a minimum 2.50 overall GPA is required for recommendation for Minnesota teaching licensure. All required courses in the major must be taken A-F with grades of C- or better; students who receive a grade below C- in a major course must repeat the course. Major course work is defined as all required courses listed in each major program including specialization courses, track courses, concentration courses, professional courses, and writing courses. The only courses not included in this policy are free electives and courses taken beyond those in the major coursework to satisfy liberal education requirements.

The major requires a broad study of agriculture, including plant science (horticulture, agronomy, plant pathology, and entomology), animal science, natural resources, soils, economics and agribusiness, agricultural mechanization, food science, foundations of education, foundations of agricultural education, and two semesters of field experience.

Additional information about the Ag Ed major is available on this informational brochure (PDF).