The Agricultural Education, Communication & Marketing division at the University of Minnesota was established in 1910. D. Mayne was the first principal, and provided advice to high school agriculture teachers in the state. Mayne was the only staff member from 1910-1912. The division became part of the College of Education in 1912.
- 1910-1912: Dr. D. Mayne, principal
- 1912-1934: Dr. A.V. Storm, professor
- 1934-1948: Dr. A. M. Field, professor
- 1948-1970: Dr. Milo Peterson, professor
- 1970-1984: Dr. R. Paul Marvin, professor
- 1984-1996:Dr. Edgar Persons, professor
- 1997-2005: Dr. Roland Peterson, professor
- 2005-2007: Darrell Hartle, senior fellow
- 2008-2013: Dr. Brian Buhr, professor
- 2013-present: Dr. Frances Homans, professor
Division Highlights and Information
Legislative Influences (PDF)
Over the years, the Agricultural Education, Communication & Marketing division at the University of Minnesota has been located in different buildings on the St. Paul campus. From 1910 to 1974, its home was the "Old Hort" building, which is now the southernmost part of McNeal Hall. In the late 1960s, North Hall became a temporary location for part of the faculty. From 1974 to 1982, the Agricultural Education division was housed in the Classroom Office Building. In 1982, the division moved to the Vocational and Technical Education building.
In August of 2009, the division moved back to the Classroom Office Building. The name of the building was changed to Ruttan Hall in October 2010.
Historical Student Organizations
Agricultural Education, Communication & Marketing (AECM) Club
The Agricultural Education, Communication & Marketing Club (formerly Agricultural Education Club) at the University of Minnesota was formed in 1913. This organization has social and educational aims and has been in continuous operation since its beginning.
Alpha Tau Alpha Fraternity
The Alpha Alpha Chapter of ATA was formed in 1963. It continues to serve as an honorary fraternity for students majoring in agricultural education. It emphasizes scholarship, leadership, and service to the major and the College of Agricultural, Food, and Environmental Sciences.